"I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell: and earth, if put second to Heaven, to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven itself." -CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

8.24.2009

Thing #10: Being a tourist in your home town

I created an "End of Summer To-Do List," which includes randomness such as a bike ride down the entire boardwalk, skinny dipping, and other such nonsense. On this list was a little item known as the "be a tourist in your home town." Really, what the list said was to "shop" like a tourist. All summer, I've coveted a Virginia Beach t-shirt, the black one with neon splatters. I also realized that I needed a VB shot glass for my ever growing (and relatively unused) shot glass collection. So today, I took a very long walk (see the entry below about physical activity), and on the way back from the walk, I decided to do a little tourist shopping.

It was thrilling. In a "I just shopped at cheap stores where I feel slightly dirty" kind of way. I did find exactly what I wanted...a dolphin bottle opener (I previously was sadly lacking a bottle opener), a child's sized XL Virginia Beach t-shirt (cheaper!), a shot glass with flip flops and "Life's a Beach," and a VB sticker to put on my school cart.

It felt anonymous. It also reminded me that I'm glad to live here, not vacation here. Seriously sketch-tastic. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment