"I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell: and earth, if put second to Heaven, to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven itself." -CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

8.24.2009

Thing #7: Physical activity

It's good to remind yourself, occasionally, what your body can do.

Lift things that may be a bit, oh I don't know, heavy beyond your strength.

Run a little farther than you ran before. Don't die. See how it feels to have legs of Jell-O, burning lungs, sweaty shorts, and accomplishment.

Walk a long way. Just walk. Know that the car could have taken you there in about 1/10th of the time. Know that your healthier mentally and physically for doing so.

Ride your bike a bit further, with no real destination. Just let the sun beat on your back a little. Feel the breeze. Pedal a bit faster.

I did a few of these today. I took a walk from 63rd street back to my home nearly 40 blocks away. It felt...liberating I think is the word. The weather was beautiful, and it was fun to lip sync to the iPod music and slash on the edge of the water. Earlier, I took my bike down the boardwalk (I figure 6 miles of bike riding MUST be good for my soul and body). It was a lovely morning, and the breeze smelled perfectly of salt water and the early-going-beach-visitors' sunscreen. I feel better. Calmer. Happier.

It's nice to know I can. And that I did. Possibility and actuality meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment