"I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell: and earth, if put second to Heaven, to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven itself." -CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

8.24.2009

Thing #6: My mom

I don't know if it's all moms or just mine, but she calls when I need her to. She wants to get coffee or hang out when I need to talk. She just knows. She lets me cry. She lets my whine. She puts up with a lot of crap that no one has any right dishing out (my role), let alone taking (her role). She sees my point-of-view when no one else seems to. She knows when there's more to the story than I've told her. And she loves to shop.

And the older I get, the happier and happier I am to be like her. It's tough sometimes to admit how much you're like someone else, especially when that person can be as stubborn as you are, but it's also good to know that you're like someone who is kind and generous and giving of her time and energy.

So here's to my mom, and the way she picked up the phone today and asked if she could come to the beach. That was a good thing she did for me. I hope she knows it.

No comments:

Post a Comment