"I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell: and earth, if put second to Heaven, to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven itself." -CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

8.09.2009

Thing #1: Microsoft PowerPoint 2007

I am always behind where technology is concerned with the rare exception of Facebook, which I joined immediately upon its arrival at W&M. For the record, that was well before its national and global domination. That was when membership required a college email address from a registered college. Which makes me way ahead of the game. Once. Only once.

Which takes me to thing #1, Microsoft PowerPoint. This lovely software has presumably been available since early 2007 (a quick Google search reveals a Wikipedia entry that says the software was commercially available on January 30, 2007 - you be the judge of the reliability of that information). Still, despite the relative availability of the software, I have been putzing around on my Microsoft Office XP 2003 era software. Microsoft Office 2007 has been loaded set by set onto the laptops at Ocean Lakes, so I had my first glance into its depths last week.

Oh, and it was glorious.

Word is pretty standard. Excel will take a bit of getting used to. PowerPoint was sheer joy. The backgrounds have finally been updated into more professional and functional models. The color choices are extensive and easily changes. The changes you wish to make preview as you scroll over the options. But the best part is the photo editing. You can change the tinting of each picture. You can change the shape, halo effect, frame, and tilting.

Written out, that looks pathetic. Still, I simply cannot divulge here for you the extensive joy I felt when experimenting with the pictures. I am thoroughly enamored.

No comments:

Post a Comment