"I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell: and earth, if put second to Heaven, to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven itself." -CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

8.14.2009

Thing #3: Free lunch

I've heard it said that there's no such thing as a free lunch, and I suppose that's true. Most lunches come with some kind of stipulation, task, or duty attached to them. The free food from the senior "picnic" in June required that I sit around and pass out sandwiches to the seniors. Lunch with the parents on Sunday is all part of the bond of familial love. Lunch at work means "stay here - we'll give you food as an enticement."

But I don't care that there's no such thing as a free lunch. If free merely means monetarily free, I'll take it. Even better, though, is when you don't expect the free lunch, and there it is, complete with sandwich, cookie, chips, and a beverage of your choice. And best of all? When you're starving, and the announcement is made, "lunch is served in the summer school office."

Little things, people. Little things. Little free things.

No comments:

Post a Comment