"I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell: and earth, if put second to Heaven, to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven itself." -CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

11.03.2009

Thing #18: Teacher Work Days

First, let me be clear - my job has countless perks. I have breaks at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, as well as the entire summer. My hours are 7:15 to 2:35 by contract. I reliably work only Monday through Friday. I get to read and write as part of my job. I'm entertained daily by 14-18 year olds.

But the great unspoken perk is the Teacher Work Day, at least in high school. On this day, I am able to arrive at my contract hour and not hysterically run around seeking the things I need to teach. I can leisurely enjoy coffee in the morning. I can wear jeans and my pink Converse without fear of administrative reproach. I am able to enjoy hours of planning, cleaning, organizing, and/or grading without the interruptions of a normal teaching day. Plus, let's not forget that there is often some kind of sustenance involved, whether it be breakfast, a snack, or lunch.

I am happy that today is a work day. I needed to wake up at 6, wear jeans, and grade papers. Today will be a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment