"I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell: and earth, if put second to Heaven, to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven itself." -CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

11.30.2009

Thing #22: People who love me and people to love

The week of thankfulness came and went, and I published nothing "to be happy about" in those days. That's simultaneously silly and stupid because I have many things for which to be thankful (numerous and almost uncountable).

When it comes right down to it, though, very few things (edit: nothing) in my life would be worthwhile without the people I love. Simple pleasures like the lights on my Christmas tree are empty and meaningless without someone with whom to share them. Thanksgiving dinner is just food without the company. Life is just a passage of days without people to share our joys and successes.

My life is certainly richer and fuller because of the people I love and the people who love me. My mom reminded me today (as things tend to do frequently) that life is short and as I told a freshman during 2nd block, we are not as invincible as we imagine ourselves to be at 14. So, to those of you who love me, thank you for making my life better and worth living. It's for you that I work hard to make a good name for myself, because I know that my legacy is also a tribute to the impact you have had in my life. And I am unspeakably thankful for the power of your influence in and on my life. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment