"I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell: and earth, if put second to Heaven, to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven itself." -CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

11.09.2010

Thing #61: Christmas Lights

This time change is killin' me, Smalls. I can't seem to manage much more that puttering after the 5:30 hour o' darkness. I have organized some wedding stuff and managed to watch a lot of Bravo. I have not, however, managed to run, eat well, or be in any way active after the hour o' darkness. It's going to have to change soon, I know. Until it does, however, I have something quite exciting to light up my life: Christmas lights.

Yes, I know that it is merely November 9, but waiting until today shows a great deal of restraint by my Christmas-light-loving self. First, as I mentioned, it's very dark very early, and there is still a month and TWELVE days until the shortest day of the year. Lights make things brighter and far more tolerable. Second, these Christmas decorations are costly, and it seems that the most cost-efficient use of them would necessitate that they be up early. Third, I love lights. And sparkle. And lights. There are few things in this world that I find as enjoyable as a well-decorated and (likely overly) lighted Christmas tree.

Now, to be fair, I only put up my Christmas trees as a home for my lights (see title of post), so I am not completely ridiculous. I will save Christmas decorating for the much later date of Saturday. Too bad I'm not kidding, because this is potentially the most ridiculous post I have given.

But gosh, I do love those lights. I may go make some hot cider (also a thing I love neglected from my list) and stare at them. Oooh, lights. Sparkle.

2 comments:

  1. From last year's post on November 23: "I could drink my hot cider and stare at my trees for hours. In fact, I may resort to that tonight when I should be reading or cleaning or grocery shopping. I get kind of caught up in the wonder of it all."

    I think my life goes in circles. Delightful circles around Christmas trees. And lights. And sparkle.

    (also, is it bad that I, likely the sole reader of this blog, am so amused by this entry. I will answer. Yes. Oh well)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,

    You are not the sole reader of your blog!

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete