"I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell: and earth, if put second to Heaven, to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven itself." -CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

10.31.2010

Thing #60: Halloween Costumes

Let me begin this by saying that I am NOT a Halloween person. Perhaps in my childhood, I was more inclined to dress up, but I have rarely obsessed over the details of a costume after the 14-year-old trick-or-treating cut-off. I can think of maybe three costumes I've worn in these past 11 years - half of good and evil (I was evil), a rabbit, and a rainbow marshmallow from Lucky Charms.

Still, I think costumes are SO cool.

Yesterday, we all ran the Wicked 10K at the beach. It was hilarious. There are so many creative people out there, from the Adams Family to "Ghoul Runnings" to a centaur; the whole thing was just entertaining. I couldn't believe what some people were willing to run 6 miles in. It's nice to see a lighter side of people, too. It's difficult to be too serious when people all around you are dressed up like cartoon characters, cross dressers, and humorous renditions of serious things.

This year, we were the Lucky Charms, and it was amusing. It was pretty simple, but definitely worth it.
I mean, check us out. How could you not get a little chuckle from it? I am incredibly impressed, however, by the amount of time it must take to create more elaborate costumes, because these took many, many hours in their simplicity.

Moral of the story: I am amused and anxiously awaiting true inspiration for next year's Wicked 10K...

No comments:

Post a Comment