"I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell: and earth, if put second to Heaven, to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven itself." -CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

10.19.2010

Thing #59: Uplifting Songs

As usual, I am exhausted. I wonder frequently how mothers of young children manage - especially teacher mothers who work - to grade papers, plan sweet lessons, and raise relatively well-adapted children. It is a mystery to me, but I suppose I will one day learn that the secret is merely severe sleep deprivation. And this of course, is all one major tangent to my real point for this entry. On my way home from my second church committee meeting this week, I realized that I needed some uplifting music. On my iPod, "Dream Big" was still pulled up from my previous night's drive home. This song served great uplifting work yesterday.

"When you see, see the beauty all around and in yourself
and it will help you feel okay.
And when you pray, pray for strength for when the troubles come your way.
And when you dream, dream big, as big as the ocean blue,
because when you dream, it might come true.
So when you dream, dream big."

I listened to this song again tonight, and it was still a lovely reminder that I need to smile and keep on moving. I mean, my life is easy compared with most, so who am I to complain? (Side Note: This song is also a ringtone on my phone, which has coincidentally been set as my morning alarm. This means I rarely actually listen to the words before shutting it off.)

Then, I needed more mmmph in a song, so I found my favorite song sung by Wynona Judd - "I Will Testify to Love." Now, this song is straight up inspirational.

"For as long as I will live, I will testify to love.
I'll be a witness in the darkness when words are not enough.
With every breath I take, I will give thanks to God above,
For as long as I shall live, I will testify to love."

This really made me think, "Am I actually testifying to love?" The answer is, "No." Still, I sang REALLY loudly and did a little praisin' in my car. I realized that I need to chill on out and not get so uptight. My goal is to testify to love, to be patient every day with my job and coworkers and students, to love the God in everyone.

Today, I'm not only "happy about" these songs, I'm grateful that they were on my iPod to give me some direction and clarity about my foul approach to stress. Really, it'll all get done. I have no earthly idea when, and some papers might be mysteriously "lost," but it WILL be okay as long as I smile, pray, dream big, and testify to love.

Thanks, music.

No comments:

Post a Comment