"I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell: and earth, if put second to Heaven, to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven itself." -CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

9.06.2010

Thing #47: Finishing the Race

August 2008, I stepped out of the door and ran one mile and walked another. That was all I could do. By Labor Day weekend of that year, I had finished my first 3 mile run. In October, I ran my first real 5K, in November, my first 10K, and March of 2009 was my first half marathon. I am now entering into my third year of running. Shocking. 13.1 miles is a long way for non-runners likes me, but I have now completed it 4 times. This astounds me. I think it also means I cannot completely consider myself a "non-runner" any longer.

While most races come with a sense of accomplishment, the half marathon seems like a big one, especially since I have never run the race distance prior to the race. It's a kind of a question mark - "will I be able to complete all 13.1 miles?" And then, I cross the finish line (in awful shape, might I add), and I have answered that question. Yes. I am able.

No comments:

Post a Comment