"I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell: and earth, if put second to Heaven, to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven itself." -CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

1.06.2011

Thing #67: Better Days

Tuesday was a series of unfortunate events that just didn't seem to end. I got a migraine during 2nd block that caused me to follow almost nothing going on in class; the power went out as I was cooking eggs on the stove; the power company came to fix the power, but so loudly that I woke up, only to realize my stomach felt bad because I had taken too my medicine for my still-present headache; I woke up with a slight headache and upset stomach, went to class, and discovered I had forgotten Splenda in my coffee (ick).

But it stopped there. Miracuously. Mysteriously. Incredibly.

I told my students that I was mad at the world and to be warned lest I take it out on them. Instead of being awful, they were kind, followed the instructions, and worked pretty hard on their projects. The day got better. I got the work graded I had intended to complete. I figured out lessons. I even napped, went for a run, and enjoyed Young Adult group.

So I'm really thankful for better days. Despite our best intentions to be angry, upset, or bitter, good comes anyway in the forms of smiles, productivity, and rest. I needed yesterday to be a better day, and it sure was :)

No comments:

Post a Comment