"I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell: and earth, if put second to Heaven, to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven itself." -CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

2.21.2010

Thing #34: "She's In Love With the Boy"

Today was one of the first beautiful days of 2010, allowing me to glimpse into the hope that spring will soon sweep back into our lives, rendering winter a cold - yet relatively benign - memory. Anyway, on these first warm-ish days, I am tempted to do the environmentally un-friendly thing: turn up the heat and roll down the windows. Today, I did such a thing. Then, as the windows are down, I ultimately realize that I must have the PERFECT song on the radio. I searched all 12 pre-set stations in my car at least three times, and nothing on any of the stations struck me as perfect. Out came the iPod and the "All Time Favorites" playlist. Number one on that playlist is my favorite song of all time - Trisha Yearwood's "She's in love with the Boy." So I rocked it, hard, to one of my most genuinely country songs. It was a good moment in a day on which I have struggled with my inner demons of negativity and self-doubt. And whenever I hear it - through a phone call from mom, on the radio, when shuffle selects it, or like today, when I purposefully select it - I'm happier.

"What's meant to be will always find a way"

I know that's not the lasting message of a love song about two teenagers, but it seems to be the thought that leaves me with a warm feeling of hope in my chest. What's meant to be WILL always find a way... and I will take Trisha along with me each step of that journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment