"I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell: and earth, if put second to Heaven, to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven itself." -CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

2.18.2010

Thing #33: Lessons that have gone well

Part of my lenten goals (especially after yesterday's reminder that our lenten sacrifice should be something that stands in our way of God) is an effort to come up with at least one "thing to be happy about" a day. I hope this goes well.

So, here goes my first attempt at positivity (despite my lingering hunger and exhaustion):

Today's lesson went really well. I refused to give answers for most of the lesson. Instead, I allowed my students to create their own working knowledge of personal narratives. What they came up with was better than any PowerPoint slide I could have created. Now, they not only know what good writing should have, they also know what it looks like (and what it doesn't). I feel like a good teacher, and I'm not worn out from talking all block and re-explaining the ideas. They did the work. It was fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment