"I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell: and earth, if put second to Heaven, to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven itself." -CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

9.06.2011

Thing #84: My Classroom

I am super stoked about the 2011-2012 school year.  One of these reasons leaves me feeling borderline guilty, but only sometimes.  This year, I have been given the gift of having my own room. That's right, room 124 is mine and mine alone.  I am the queen of my kingdom, and I do not have to consult others when rearranging desks, boxes, bulletin boards, or the teacher's desk.  Even better is that I got to entirely decorate the room in things that bring me joy, which, consequently, brings me great joy.  

One thing that I particularly love this year is my bulletin board.  I love a good Mark Twain quote, but this one really resonates with me.  My junior year, I cut this one out and had it taped to the front of my planner.  It seemed to capture what I wanted my life to be, and it still seems to capture my feelings about the future (and encourage me to try things despite my fears of failing at new things).  I hope my students appreciate it, but even more, I really hope that I can live by it this year as I seek to become an even better teacher, a nicer person, and a more deliberate experiencer of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment