"I think earth, if chosen instead of Heaven, will turn out to have been, all along, only a region in Hell: and earth, if put second to Heaven, to have been from the beginning a part of Heaven itself." -CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

1.14.2010

Thing #29: Daddy.

No matter what, there are few things I enjoy like a good conversation with my dad. I remember many conversations (topic completely irrelevant) with dad that lasted for hours. As much as I am like my mom in temperament and perspective, there are things that dad and I see eye-to-eye on like no one else. Like stupidity, books, education, and great ringtones.

I keep rewriting this, knowing that dad will read it. It's silly...I can never quite put into words how comforted I am by knowing that somehow, I'm still daddy's little girl. I respect him immensely, and when I spend time with him, I feel like he respects me the same way. I feel loved and safe and special, like I did when I was younger and dad treated me like a little adult, amused at my opinions, but honestly respectful that I had my own perspective. And when I get a hug from dad, I feel that he loves me. I just feel it.

It's silly how much of a little girl I am deep down. Maybe it's not, though. I love my dad, and I'm so grateful to be able to spend time with him, just the two of us. Dad, thank you for making sure that I feel loved and safe and special.


That still feels insufficient, but it will have to suffice.



How lucky am I that both of my parents are "things to be happy about"? How blessed am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment